Essie Nail Polish in Fed Up -- an easy color to wear and apply, so that you will always be manicured.
A few months ago, I had the pleasure of meeting the lovely and talented Amy Chandra of Midtown Girl. What is Midtown Girl, you ask? After ending a long-term relationship over 3 years ago, Amy decided to share her stories, feelings and insight as she re-entered the dating world. And it's all based around the perspective of a fabulous gal who lives in midtown Manhattan! Amy's blog is chock-full of great places to eat, shop and otherwise enjoy the city. Read on to discover the designer who started her love for fashion, the nail polish she can't live without and so much more.
Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
I am a born and bred New Yorker. I went to undergrad at NYU and have lived in midtown Manhattan ever since!
How did you first become interested in fashion and beauty?
Growing up, I would put together outfits from vintage pieces, hand-me-downs and with items I "borrowed" from my mom's closet. I remember, way back in junior high, my friends would come over and ask, "Amy, why are you always dressed up, even in your house?" And I would respond, "I don't know, I just feel comfortable this way." LOL! Which means, rarely will you see me wearing sweats and sneaks (unless I am on my way to the gym, of course)!
Also, when I was very young, my mom would often wear this gorgeous forest green Gucci purse. Since my mom never let me "borrow" this Gucci purse, I vowed one day to have my very own! Thus, my love affair with Gucci and designer houses began and still flourishes to this day. Can you blame me?!
Why did you decide to start your blog?
I started Midtown Girl in July of 2008. I had ended a long-term relationship a few months prior and just began to date. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. In addition, I had no clue as to what or what not to wear on a first date (this is a HUGE deal, BTW). So, instead of repeating the same dating story to all my gf's, I started writing down my dates as posts, with the intention of getting helpful advice from my friends.
I love the name of your blog! How did you come up with it?
I have lived in midtown Manhattan for over 10 years (in the same apartment, in the same building). This is my absolute favorite part of the city. It is the fashion center of NYC and the heart of Manhattan. I love being a Midtown Girl!
What have been some of the highlights of having your blog?
Meeting other fabulush bloggy friends -- like you, my darling -- in real life!! (Editor's Note: AWWWWW!) I have met so many great people from blogging, some of whom are now my BFFs!
What are your top 5 beauty essentials?
1) Blackest black liquid eyeliner (brush, not felt tip).
2) Long-lasting nude lip gloss.
4) A deep conditioning hair treatment.
Perricone MD Cold Plasma Serum.
What are your top 5 fashion/style essentials?
1) Diamond studs/pearl necklace
2) Camel-colored cashmere extra-long cardigan
3) Denim pencil skirt
4) LnA super soft white tee
5) Super low-cut booties
What brands can you simply not live without?
1) J Brand -- especially their Love Story jeans, I have 3 pairs!! These are the only jeans that fit my bootay the right way.
2) Diane von Furstenberg -- a major part of my date night outfit ensembles as her designs fit my body perfectly and make me feel uber-fabulous.
3) Tory Burch -- her designs reflect much of my personal style, Midtown Chic!
4) Zara -- excellent price point for pieces that reflect just enough European flavor without looking like you tried too hard to achieve it.
5) Christian Louboutin -- do I really need to explain?