One of the reasons I absolutely love Twitter? Getting to connect with fabulous hairstylists and makeup artists like the uber-talented Jamie Warzel. Read on to discover the lash curler she's in love with, her top hair tip and so much more!
Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
I was raised in Washington, PA, then went to college at John Carroll University in Cleveland. There I earned my Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (so I can run my own salon some day!). I also met and married my college sweetheart, Matt. Then we moved out to Los Angeles so I could pursue hair/makeup and Matt could pursue acting. Now we are in Wilmington, NC following our dreams back on the East coast!
How did you first become interested in beauty, and what led you to become a hairstylist and makeup artist?
I became interested in beauty when I was really young! There's a photo on my website of me styling my little sister's hair when I was about 4 or 5! I just love makeup and hair stuff! It's so fun and interesting to me. And it's such a special, rewarding feeling to help someone feel good about themselves.I did family and friends' hair/makeup throughout school. I wanted to go to beauty school after high school, but my parents insisted I go to college ... which I am so happy I did! I have my degree and I met the love of my life (Matt)! But I still wanted to get my cosmo license, so that was my next step! And I got it when we lived in LA!
Have you worked with any makeup artists or hairstylists who inspired you? What did they teach you?
Yes, Jamie Greenberg comes to mind first. She really gave me honest, relevant advice and even helped me start my makeup kit! She was so helpful and generous, and it was the first time I had ever met her! It was right before my first "real" hair/makeup gig! At the time, I had no idea that there are other things, besides makeup, that go into a makeup kit! Haha! She even brought me along on a celebrity photo shoot with her so I could watch and learn how the pros do it! I really appreciate all Jamie did for me to get me started on the right foot.
I am also inspired by my peers, including some of my beauty school classmates. I've learned to do what you do best, and enjoy doing, if that's what you want to be know for as a hair stylist or makeup artist. Just keep doing YOU!
What are your top 5 beauty essentials?
1) Maybelline Full 'N Soft Mascara in Very Black
2) Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid
3) Any aerosol hairspray (like TRESemme Tres Two Extra Hold Hair Spray)
4) Clearasil Stayclear Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream
5) CoverGirl Clean Oil Control Compact Pressed Powder
What are your top 3 makeup tips?
1) Don't over-pluck your eyebrows!
2) If you can't wash your face before bed, use a facial cleansing wipe.
3) Use different shades of foundation on different parts of your face to make it all blend together (and just cover up what needs to be covered! Don't cover your entire face!).
What are your top 3 hair tips?
1) Don't wash your hair every day.
2) If you have extensions, do not sleep with wet hair! I learned that one the hard (i.e., painful) way!
3) Don't keep the same style/color your whole life! Try something new!
Playing with makeup and hair must be fun -- but what do you do in your spare time?
I love spending time with my husband, no matter what we are doing. I also like working out, running and going to the beach!
To check out Jamie's website, click here. To follow her on Twitter, click here.