I've long been a fan of the effervescent Mally Roncal. She's spunky, bubbly and creates gorgeous makeup looks time and time again -- and her makeup line is to die for! I caught up with her to find out about her favorite products, her top makeup tips and more.
How did you first become interested in beauty, and what led you to become a makeup artist?
For as far back as I can remember, I have always been obsessed with makeup! In high school and college, I was always that girl offering to do your makeup, but I never actually thought I could make a career out of it. I worked in fashion after graduating college, and that's when I realized that I could actually have a career as a makeup artist!
I absolutely love your makeup line. How did it go from an idea to a reality?
Thank you so much! There was a time in my career where I was traveling all around the world as the makeup artist to Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion, and I was also working as the spokesperson for Sephora. I had every makeup line at my disposal, but there was nothing that I was 100 percent satisfied with, so I spent hours developing different concoctions and methods of application. One day, I said to myself, there has to be an easier way! How amazing would it be to have a line of cosmetics that combined all of my makeup artist tips and tricks, that I could trust to perform and live up to its claims, not only for my celebrity clients, but for my friends, my family, and myself! Out of that dream, Mally Beauty was born!
If you could only pick one favorite product from your line, what would it be and why?
Oh ... that's tough! I don't think I could choose just one! I would have to say my Volumizing Mascara and my Evercolor Poreless Face Defender!
I am so honored to say that the Volumizing Mascara has won QVC's Customer Choice Beauty Award 2 years in a row (2010 and 2011). This incredible mascara changed my life! It used to take me upwards of 1 hour to create lashes on my celebrity clients -- it was a very detailed process that included a wet Italian mascara, black Japanese pigments (that I would fly to Japan myself to get!), and a Parisian diamond cut lash comb! Now, I can get those same, thick, voluminous lashes with just 2 coats on the top and 1 coat on the bottom!
I have to say, my Evercolor Poreless Face Defender has changed the game for me and for so many of my makeup artist friends! This is the world's first ever clear powder! It sets your makeup and mattifies your skin, leaving your skin with an amazing, poreless finish, without being heavy or cakey!
What are your top 5 favorite beauty products (aside from your line) and why?
1) St. Tropez Self-Tan Bronzing Mousse. I love, love, love the look of healthy, glowing, tanned skin -- especially for when I am on TV -- but I don't want to sit in the sun or in a dangerous tanning booth! This is not only super easy to use, but it also leaves your skin with an incredibly natural looking tan! I am never without my St. Tropez!
2) Wen by Chaz Dean Re-Moist Hydrating Hair Mask. Between getting my hair done for TV appearances and photo shoots to playing with my 3 daughters, my hair takes a beating! This mask has saved my hair!
3) Dr. Brandt Lineless Infinite Moisture. I have been using this product for YEARS! I've always had dry skin, but when I was spending so much time flying and traveling, my skin went a little crazy! I am so happy to have found it!
4) Bath & Body Works Shea Cashmere Hand Cream. As a makeup artist, I've got my hands all up in people's faces, so it is so important that I keep my hands soft and moisturized!
5) Hot Tools CeramicTI Tourmaline Curling Iron. While I am so blessed to get to work with the most [amazing] hairstylists, there are days when I need to do my own hair! I love this curling iron ... it's like it does the work for you!
What are your top 3 makeup tips?
1) Throw away that translucent powder! It's making you look dry, cakey, cracky, funky, white, it's settling into all of your pores and fine lines and wrinkles, and you deserve better! My Face Defender is the world's first ever CLEAR setting powder. It does everything that a traditional translucent powder is supposed to do, without any of those nasty side effects -- it sets your makeup and gives your skin an amazing satiny-matte finish, all while minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!
2) Always apply mascara to your bottom lashes! This really helps to frame the eye, making it look wide awake!
3) Define your brows! This is a quick and easy way to help make you look 10 years younger, and like you got 8 hours of sleep. By not doing your brows, you are doing your face a huge injustice. Brows provide a frame not only for your eyes, but for your whole gorgeous face.
And here's the best part -- you can meet Mally today, March 29! She's appearing at Henri Bendel in NYC. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about open appointments for her one-on-one sessions (10-6pm with a $500 fee, completely redeemable in product) or her master class (6-7pm, $75 fee completely redeemable in product).