Well, obviously I would be drawn to a makeup artist named Jamie! Jamie Greenberg has worked with a multitude of young celebrities in Hollywood, from Glee's Chris Colfer to Katharine MacPhee and Becki Newton. Read on to discover which eyeliner brush is her favorite, why she loves working with mark., and so much more!
How did you first become interested in beauty, and what led you to become a makeup artist?
Started off studying film, photography and art in college. After college, worked in film editing ... something wasn't right. I always LOVED makeup but never thought of it as a career. I was always doing everyone's makeup before we'd go out. So I started at the bottom of the totem pole -- in a store, at a counter. A friend of mine who is in the makeup business told me the best way to get started was doing as many "normal" people as possible. So I got behind that counter and did 3-5 people a day.
In the beginning I was scared but as time went on, I was honing my skills and getting better and better. The sales for the counter were through the roof.
What are some of the moments that have stood out as highlights in your career?
Getting a contract with mark. -- meeting them and working with them has been a huge highlight in my career. Also, mentoring some huge artists has been amazing as well ... which led to getting an agency, The Wall Group, which has really taken my career to the next level.
What are your top 5 makeup essentials?
1) mark Snap To It Mini Custom Color Palette. There's actually so much mark that is essential.
2) Liz Earle Superskin Concentrate
3) Laura Mercier Flat Eye Liner Brush
4) CLARISONIC Sonic Skin Care Brush Cleansing System
5) Kanebo Sensai Cellular Performance Brightening Makeup Base
What are your top 3 makeup tips?
1) First and foremost, for any makeup to complement you, you have to take care of yourself. So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate -- try to eat a well balanced diet and work out to get the body moving. This lays the most perfect foundation for a great looking you!
2) Break the rules. Makeup is expression so have fun with it. Don't take it too seriously. Try things -- you might surprise yourself. I never like when people say "You Can't Wear this because ... etc." You can! My favorite thing to do is try something before I get in the shower. That way if it's scary, no one will know about it and I can just wash it right off.
3) Protect your skin. SPF baby. You might be loving your young, wrinkle-free skin right now and basking in the sun's glory, but let me tell you from experience that you're aging yourself. So protect yourself so you'll love your skin at 40, 50, 60 the same way you do at 20!
Being a makeup artist must be fun -- but what do you do in your spare time?
I spend most of my free time on Facebook ... just kidding. I like to paint in my spare time. I'm also an avid runner -- have done two marathons and would like to add to that number. Workout at Body Theory doing Drenched Cardio (it's a Billy Blank's of Tae Bo brother and sister who own it, so if you're ever in LA, it's a must). I also love spending time with my husband and mini golden doodle. We like to hike, catch movies, dine! Your usual. Actually right now I'm about 38 weeks pregnant so we're waiting a lot nowadays ... waddling and sneaking in ice cream!