Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
I grew up in a small town in Michigan, a big beach town. I went to school at the University of Michigan (Go Blue!) for 8 years, before moving to Southern California for training. A couple of years ago my husband and I moved back to Ann Arbor. When I'm not blogging I'm working and spending time with my husband and daughter.
How did you first become interested in beauty, and what led you to start your blog?
I've always been a product junkie! Even in high school I read the beauty section of every magazine first and bought everything from the new displays at the drugstore the moment they were put out. I was just starting my critical care training when I realized that I needed a light and fluffy outlet, something to balance out what I was doing all day, every day. My husband suggested I start my own beauty blog since I was forever commenting on other blogs, it took about 6 months before I admitted to him that I'd actually done it!
I love the name of your blog! How did you come up with it?
I'm not a morning person, but unfortunately, the medical field doesn't care! So, I was perpetually sleeping in until the last possible moment. I had my beauty routine down to 15 minutes from the moment I stepped out of the shower until I hopped into the car. I'm not quite that fast now (it must be something about being 35 instead of 29), but I can be fast when I need to be!
What are your top 5 favorite beauty products?
1) Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate. This oil is absolutely amazing! A few drops on my face before bed and any dryness is gone! I'm back to glowy by the morning.
4) Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer. Full coverage that lasts all day but looks like I'm not wearing anything? Yes, please!
5) Stila Convertible Color in Lillium. This is my go-to blush. I apply it with a brush for a lighter look, but it lasts all day on me.
What are your top 3 beauty tips?
1) Always prime. Prime everything that can possibly be primed. Shadow primer is worth its weight in gold (I like Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion and Too Faced Shadow Insurance), face primer is amazing to minimize pores, and if you're shiny, add in some Milk of Magnesia as a primer.
2) Eyebrows are so underrated. Having your brows done (even if you do them yourself), not overplucked, and filled in each day makes a HUGE impact. I wish I'd realized this in my 20s.
3) Pay close attention to your skin and listen to it, not whatever "regimen" you have going on at the time. Your skin shouldn't be red and irritated. There shouldn't be dryness and absolutely no flaking! I'm constantly adding in a little extra moisture, backing off on treatment products (every other night is often a good idea) and I wear sunscreen every day.
Being a beauty blogger must be fun, but what do you do in your spare time?
Mostly I spend time with my family. I have a 2-year-old daughter and I can't believe how quickly she is growing up!