Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
We take turns writing, plus team up for some articles. We are from the greater Detroit area. Marcia grew up in Detroit, graduated from University of Michigan with a degree in education and got her Master's Degree in K-8 education from Wayne State University. Lisa grew up in a rural northern suburb of Detroit, then went to Bowling Green State University and become certified as a teacher. She then got a Master's Degrees from BGSU and Oakland University and is currently a high school counselor at an International Baccalaureate school.
How did you first become interested in beauty, and what led you to become a blogger?
Marcia: My sister and I always played "makeup" and it's what brought us closer together. After I became a teacher, I continued her love of cosmetics by becoming a makeup artist and working for M.A.C, Paula Dorf and Ulta.
Lisa: My mom threw me a Jafra party when I was teen and that started my obsession with skincare. I supplemented my income as a makeup artist for the theater and wedding parties.
In the early 2000s, we met online through Makeupalley. (Marcia was infamous as the most prolific swapper of all time.) We ended up arranging an epic swap and decided to meet to exchange goodies. It was love at first sight! Marcia then introduced Lisa to product reviewing on another cosmetics website, and eventually we decided to partner together on our own blog.
I love the name of your blog! How did you come up with it?
Marcia: This was a long process. We knew we wanted the word beauty in the title so there was a lot of brainstorming to do. You have to check to make sure no one else has the name before you can register it. A friend of mine actually put together some of our ideas and came up with Beauty Info Zone. When we realized we had an acronym, BIZ, we were pleasantly surprised.
What are your top 3 favorite beauty products?
BeautyBlender Solid Blendercleanser. So I still probably don't clean my brushes often enough, but if wasn't for this super easy to use and effective brush cleanser I would be in big trouble!
BECCA Under Eye Brightening Corrector. This brightens my under eye area instantly and lasts. It's the pick me up that I need daily.
Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum. I love liquid eyeliners and this is the easiest one to use. So few liquids come in a true brown but this one does. It doesn't fade on me or wear away.
What are your top 3 beauty tips?
1) Don't just use your eye cream under your eye. Also use it on your eyelid to prevent dry, crepey skin.
2) To thin out your nose, put a strip of highlighter down the center and brush some bronzer or contour powder on the sides.
3) If you are short on time, skip the complicated eyeshadow look and use your finger to apply a neutral M.A.C Paint Pot to the entire lid -- I like Painterly or Laying Low -- plus pencil liner to the upper lid and a quick coat of mascara. In about a minute you'll have a polished eye look that works for day or night.
1) Think about what's under your makeup more than your actual makeup. If you need to splurge on something make it your skincare and eye cream. That will pay you back in spades as you age.
2) Just like with jewelry, sometimes you need to remove one thing before you leave the house. Go into a different room and look at yourself. Is your blush well blended? Are you smudged under your eyes? Does your lipstick look right with the colors you've chosen? Different lights help to see how you look to the world.
3) Just because something is trending, that doesn't mean it's right for you. Don't contour just because it's the thing, same with matte lips. If you don't feel comfortable in those looks, don't do them.
Being a blogger must be fun, but what do you do in your spare time?
I love spending time with my daughters (16 and 11), watching old movies and reading books. My latest awesome read was Louisa Meets Bear by Lisa Gornick.
Spending time with my 4-year-old grandson and 2-year-old granddaughter is the joy of my life. I take care of them at least one day a week and whenever I'm needed. I love to read and subscribe to a lot of magazines. My iPad is my best friend since I read novels on it and do crossword puzzles.
In addition to your blog, how can The Beauty of Life readers find Beauty Info Zone on social media?
You can find us on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.