Far away from the cold night air
With one enormous chair
Oh, wouldn't it be loverly?
-- Wouldn't it Be Loverly from My Fair Lady
All I can do when I think of the name of this polish is sing that song. But unfortunately, in the case of butter LONDON Loverly, this is not a polish that feels very loverly.
I had pretty high hopes for this one. I'm not always a pink polish wearer, but the bubblegum hue just felt so springy and cheerful. And while I'm definitely not tan by any means, it actually seems to make my skin look darker than its typical Casper-white hue.
But that's really where my positive feelings about this polish end. The butter LONDON Patent Shine 10X Nail Lacquer collection carries some pretty hefty promises:
1) Long wearing formula for up to 10 days
2) Shock absorbing and chip resistant with polymer technology
3) Full salon color coverage with a dense curved brush applicator to hug the nails
4) Gel-like cushion and superior shine with radiant curing to harden and dry in natural light
5) Fade-resistant color with UV absorbers
6) Formulated to smooth nails
7) Formulated to strengthen nails
8) Prevents breakage and peeling
9) Visibly brighter, more radiant nails thanks to diamond powder
10) 8 free: no formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, DBP, toluene, camphor, ethyl tosylamide, xylene or TPHP
Quite a tall order, wouldn't you say? I'm sorry to report that the formula is definitely not long wearing, shock absorbing or chip resistant. I applied this polish last night and am already seeing chips, dings and dents in the formula. This is after also applying a top coat and letting them sit for 45 minutes -- I don't think they should have chipped or dented immediately.
I also found that two coats still did not yield even, perfect color. I was left with a lot of patchiness even when applying thicker coats. But I was worried that a third coat would make it too thick and goopy and encourage chipping (I guess I shouldn't have worried since it chipped with two).
I really love the color itself, but unfortunately the formula just doesn't do it for me. You win some, you lose some.
butter LONDON Loverly PAtent Shine 10X Nail Lacquer retails for $18 at beauty.com.