Letters to Juliet. How She Move. Degrassi: The Next Generation. You're probably wondering what the common denominator is among three such different movies and TV shows. Well, it's Ryan Reed. This hairstylist has been in the business for years and always makes people look gorgeous! Read on to discover how he got his start, the product lines that he can't live without and so much more.
How did you first become interested in hair, and what led you to become a hairstylist?
I went to college in Toronto, but after having to wait a few months for the courses I wanted to take, I decided to attend a Cosmetology school. I guess doing hair always came natural, and was an interest to me since I was little. But I never thought I could make a career out of it. During my time working in the salon, which I loved because of the freedom you get to be creative, I was offered the opportunity to work on music videos so that's what I did on the side. Eventually I had the chance to work on television shows which ultimately led to feature films. I sure did pay my dues! Because this did not happen overnight.
What are some of the moments that have stood out as highlights in your career?
I don't know if there is one particular moment that stands out as a highlight of my career because there are so many! I guess the first time I sat in a movie theater and saw a trailer for a movie I worked on, that was amazing! A big highlight also was when I won a Gemini award for my work on a Canadian series, that really meant a lot because that means hard work pays off.
What are your beauty essentials?
1) I absolutely love the MoroccanOil products!
2) On set I use Sebastian Professional Shaper Zero Gravity because it gives enough hold without the buildup!
3) I'm also a new fan of the Brazilian blowout! And the care products.
4) A staple product for me are the Kerastase [products]. I love them all!
Really different things work on different hair types so I'm constantly trying new things! Sometimes you just have to use what works for you!
What are your top 3 hair tips?
1) Use good products on your hair! Don't be cheap!
2) It's important to find a conditioner that can double as a treatment if you leave it in for 5 to 10 minutes, that way you have a multi-use out of it.
3) Most importantly, if you lead a healthy lifestyle it will reflect with your hair. It's really what you put inside your body that gives results!
What is the most rewarding part about what you do?
Seeing a smile on the person's face when you're done is so rewarding. Knowing that my work is going to be seen by thousands, maybe millions of people, is so rewarding. I love my job!
Being a hairstylist must be fun -- but what do you do in your spare time?
In my spare time I'm a dad! Well really I'm a father first. I work so hard because of them, to show them the value of hard work and how it pays off, it's all for my sons. I enjoy spending quality time with them, so we go to the movies or play video games! That kind of stuff!