The woman behind the fabulous hairstyles of Jennifer Hudson and Ciara? Clairol Professional Celebrity Colorist Kiyah Wright. Kiyah is one of the most fascinating women in the business, always creating unique and interesting looks for her clients -- and, of course, chock full of fantastic beauty tips and tricks! Read on to discover her favorite look of Ciara's, her trick to remove color from your hairline and so much more.
Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
Well, I am known for being a little bossy! However, I am a very passionate, driven worker, a trendsetter, and am extremely motivated by the beauty industry. Having been in the business for 18 years (I would almost consider myself a veteran in the hair industry), I have earned my reputation as a creative visionary and image maker. Being from Washington, D.C. by way of New York and now living in Los Angeles, my coast to coast experience has given me the opportunity to be creative and constantly inspired, while still being able to work with everyday women.
How did you first become interested in beauty, and what led you to become a hairstylist?
When I was very young I would sneak people into my house after school to do their hair. After seeing this, my mom enrolled me in hair school at 15 years old and I knew right away this was the career for me.
You have quite an impressive celebrity clientele! What are some of the favorite looks you've created?
I love Ciara's ombre I created for the Grammys and Jennifer Hudson's French Roll for her music video, Think Like A Man!
What are your top 3 favorite hair products?
1) I love the NIOXIN Hair and Scalp Systems because they’re great for men and women with thinning hair or for those who just want thicker, fuller looking hair. A lot of women suffer from hair thinning and if you follow the regime properly, it really works.
2) I also like Sebastian Professional styling products, which I’ve used since the beginning of my career. Their styling products help create fashionable, edgy and innovative looks.
3) And of course, Clairol Professional Jazzing Temporary Hair Color: a semi-permanent color that is one of my all-time favorites. It's perfect for giving hair a natural shine, while adding dimension and coverage.
What are your top 3 hair tips?
1) Find a stylist that is creative and inspired by you. Visit him/her at least once a month for cuts and conditioning and to help you practice a good styling regimen.
2) Because reds tend to fade fast, be sure to maintain it by mixing Clairol Professional Jazzing in any of the red hues with shampoo using a 1:1 ratio for a "color touch up."
3) If having difficulty removing color from your hairline, try cigarette ashes (that are no longer hot!) and a little water to create your own color remover.
Being a hairstylist must be fun, but what do you do in your spare time?
What spare time? Right now I don't have much of it! When you're building your own product line, there is little time to relax. Sometimes when traveling for my freelance work I’m able to be a tourist for a day or two. My very favorite way to relax is just being at home. I cherish those moments!